Pages

Thursday 29 July 2010

Librarian's blog, star date July 2010, subject - reflection

(Cue Music) Your mission should you choose to accept it, is to boldly go where no librarian has been before................

Back in May, a new force was gathering on the horizon - Cam23things, whose remit was to guide librarians through the Web 2.0 world and allow us to explore new technologies that may have an impact on our library world. 
by Tiger Lilly
I for one had heard of Web 2.0, and was aware of lots of librarians engaging in certain web based activities, trying to see what all the hype was about.  After starting on the course, it soon became clear that it wasn't just about adding a shiny button to the library page!

Half way through, look how far we've come. We've looked at RSS feeds, various Google applications, tagging, bookmarking, slideshare, Doodle, Calendars, using images and Twitter.  Some of which I found better than others.  I can definitely see a value for libraries in Google reader, RSS feeds and Twitter, for keeping up to date with current awareness and bookmarking for remote access to websites you've found and want to subsequently use in an assignment.  I can also see that tagging has a role to play for our users, as they may want to organise the information we provide in a different way that's more accessible for them.  However I'm still finding it hard to see a use for Doodle, calendaring, Flickr and slideshare.  I'm still of the belief that, if your not a fan of a technology, don't use it, as it won't come across well with your users.

I think the most scary thing for me about this program was The Blog. Worrying about what to write, putting all these new technologies into perspective and evaluating their possible use in libraries.  Never mind the design and look of creating your blogging space.  Today's Twitter comments regarding some of our merry little band's, "Library Thing" blogs, have actually made me think more about the blog and whether I still want to participate in blogging about our further things.  To me the idea of blogging about these technologies as part of Cam23, should be as reflective practice, this is a learning environment after all.  We all have our own ideas, opinions and that's how we learn by discussing ideas and seeing how we can improve our services, based on best practice and other people's experience.  I'm not sure that I really want to cause controversy and be reprimanded by the originator of a Web 2.0 technology by publicly saying "I don't like it" or I'm not sure how to use it in a library context which is what this is about.


Anyway, onwards and upwards, to the next things....on the Web 2.0 journey.  I found this cartoon which I think sums up, my stance so far.

Its life Jim but not as we know it!



9 comments:

  1. Being reprimanded by a web 2.0 technology originator was a bit of a surprise, but no worse than that. (And at least a few of us were visited all at once, so we had safety in numbers!) I think you should speak your mind - as long as you give reasons for a view, no-one can have any serious complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. You shouldn't be put off from saying what you think. And while I felt slightly 'told off', it was an interesting bit of drama to wake up to, and from what I gather, it was nothing the three of us couldn't handle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, me, and Niamh? There's nothing we can't handle! We'll back you up Seshat if it ever comes to that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the solidarity, it does make you wonder though about using blogs to give opinions and write about topics. However as you guys say, I'm certainly not going to be put off saying what I think and giving my reasons. Will be interesting when I finally get to LibraryThing! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, seeing as Tim and I are now BFF (he's been back to all the blogs--good on him), I reckon you could say what you liked :) You're right though that this has really driven home the fact that these blogs are completely public and are being looked at by people not within the Cam 23 bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the whole benefit of blogging is that you can end of having discussions with the originators of whatever you're writing about. It's much better like that than talking into a vacuum! But it absolutely does make one think carefully about whether what one says is justifiable or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You both have very good points, don't you just love a debate. I'm amazed to see this is still continuing, have just checked back over your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually have a lot of respect for someone who will not only comment to defend their product/service/tool, but who is willing to come back for more discussion and debate.

    It's probably no bad thing, though, to be reminded that everything posted in a blog is public property and so not to say anything that cannot be backed up. But we're all entitled to an opinion, nobody can really argue with that.

    I've seen the Meet-o-Matic team comment on Andy and Emma Coonan's blogs, and someone arguing with Andy over Zotero but all the exchanges end well, I think, with each side able to make their point and shaking hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, in the time it's taken me to write that I see Helen said exactly the same thing!

    ReplyDelete