Pages

Thursday 1 July 2010

Calendar girl

I'm a Calendar Girl! No not one of the WI variety who pose naked for charity, although I do love sunflowers. More along the lines of the Neil Sedaka song, as to quote his lyrics "I love my calendar ..., each and every day of the year".

 
I'm a big fan of electronic calendars and find them extremely useful for organising my meetings and also for reminding me where I need to be at a particular time.  However why calendaring is seen as a Web 2.0 technology and included in 23 things I don't know.  I would have thought it was an essential piece of technology for one and all.

I have set up a Google Calendar for the purposes of Cam23 and thing 6, although I have to say will probably never use it.




This is because we use the Calendar provided with Mozilla Thunderbird in the library.  This allows us to all have our own personal calendars but also to have shared library and study room calendars. The advantage of this is we can see all appointments at one time, which is great for organising staff time and meetings.  The main disadvantage was not being able to view that from home or outside the library via a PWF machine.  Our "knight in shining armour" (aka our IT Manager) then entered stage left, giving us a useful answer.  Why not create a Library Wiki page which would allow access to both our own personal calendar and the library's calendar at once, along with providing a useful vehicle for other technological developments along the way.

Mozilla Thunderbird colour
coded calendar showing 
personal and library meetings





                        Wiki calendar can be accessed                          from home



I agree that a calendar on some websites can be extremely useful, providing information to students on opening times, events, training sessions, etc.  However this is something I may explorer in the Library Wiki, as we could also use that for storing library documents, guides and training handouts - a one stop shop for library information online.

No comments:

Post a Comment