Pages

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Googling around again or not!

I hope that my fellow Cam23ers won't mind me not re-exploring Google Docs for Cam23, as I've used it previously, so will comment on my experiences from then, in order to catch up with everyone else who's finished already!

Firstly I have to say that although on the surface it seemed a great idea, the reality for me wasn't great.  In my last job a fellow colleague definitely had the Google Docs bug and encouraged us all to use it for sharing documents.  I realise that the main advantage of Google Docs, enables you to access your documents anywhere and make edits, along with the provision to work collaboratively and share documents.  However I have to agree with Adian's post on Google Docs, as although Google provides a "lite" version, it doesn't allow for the same functionality as Word.  And this is the main disadvantage I find with some of these Online products.

Secondly I did however try to add some further tips to "News from Nowhere's" Moving House Document.  So the collaboration aspect does work quite well, although having read some posts I notice that some Cam23ers have had problems with sharing their documents.

Thirdly I know that I will end up using Google Docs as more collaboratively programs develop with other librarians in Cambridge and maybe even within my College, but I have to say that although its useful in a limited way, I'm still not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment