Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Wiki Wa Wa

My main experience of Wiki's up until now has been that of "Wikipedia". While in most cases it can be informative, the main disadvantage is that anyone can edit and add information, which may not necessarily be correct.  I think it's this unreliability, which makes the academic world cautious about the use of Wiki's.

I must admit that I think Wikipedia is ok to use as a starting point, but as librarians we have access to so much much more relevant, peer reviewed information that we tend to marketing to our students.

However Wiki's used in the correct way, can be good at enabling people to collaborate on shared documents and tasks, such as with the Cambridge teachmeet.  The site is easy to edit and means that people who wish to be involved can participate themselves rather than having to get a mediator to post things for them.

I think my main concerns about wiki's, is the content moderation with a shared wiki, who is responsible for that aspect?  Everyone or just one person?  It could lead to problems if someone else edits what you have written and your not happy them doing that.

We do have the basis of a Library wiki, in fact we have one hung off the IT Managers Wiki, which he used all the time as document storage for students documents.  Unfortunately ours isn't yet used, except as a means for accessing the library calendar off site.  So I think a watch this space is possible if I can think how and what to put up on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment